Show Me a Good Time

Here’s a secret, I’d say about 98% of the events I attend are free. The other 2% are usually $30 or less. You can have fun no matter your income.

I know that I’m in NYC so there are certain opportunities I have that aren’t available everywhere but there are still MANY free things to do and ways to find out about them. Here are my tips for a good time that won’t break the bank:

Eventbrite-This is the number one site for events in any city. You can filter your search by the type of event you want, admission cost, date and more. The website is easy to navigate and you can add events to your digital calendar easily.

Social Media- Use Instagram and Craigslist to find day of events. A lot of companies and individuals use these mediums for publicity so take advantage and see what events are going on.

Flash Sales- Sites like Groupon and LivingSocial offer great deals on not only gym memberships and restaurants but also for unique activities like fencing, dancing, massages, speed-dating and more. Sites like this are an easy way to do something you’ve always wanted to but has been out of your budget.

Local Magazines- These publications are usually free and in newsstands in popular “downtown” areas of your city and there is ALWAYS a page or ten dedicated to local events, conferences, shows, etc.

Expand Your Network- Make an agreement to forward emails to your personal and professional network for events, basically share the wealth. The strength of a well-connected email blast is incredible and you’ll be surprised what you get alerted to as your network expands. Also, once you are on a list you stay there and you’ll be in the loop for all future events.

Subscribe-Subscribe to newsletters for local theatres, your favorite artists and concert venues so that you always know who or what is coming to town so you don’t miss it.

Government Programs-this includes everything from local parks, which have plays and concerts, to free exercise activities, parades, block parties, etc. Check your local government website periodically for news on free events. Any event that is taking up public space will usually have information posted on the government website due to event permits and approval needed to have large events. These are also usually publicized on public access television.

Museums- If the museum is not free, find out when they offer discounted tickets or sponsor free viewings. Most have at least one free admission day a month, if not more.  In NYC most museum admissions prices are suggested, meaning you can get in for any amount. Also, when museums host public events you are able to view the exhibits at the same time.

Landmarks-Just because you live in a city doesn’t mean you’ve taken advantage of its history. Research local landmarks, historical sites and “must-see” places that you must see and most will be free. There is so much to discover about your city you would be surprised. It’s okay to be a tourist in your hometown.

Explore-Get out the house! Go downtown or to the park and walk around, you may run into something you never expected. I have went on many excursions and happened upon street fairs, orchestra concerts and parades. You’ll never know if you don’t leave the house.

Try these tips and you’ll see your schedule start to fill up and you’ll have a great, and FREE, time. Enjoy!